AnnouncementYou asked, we listened: TED Masterclass is now available on desktop
by Kristina Tipton • August 14, 2020
Since our very first beta test, the team behind TED Masterclass has heard one piece of feedback from users above all others. It goes something like this:
“I hate typing on my phone.”
We launched TED Masterclass as a mobile app first to provide the flexibility and portability that comes with a mobile experience. However, some people just prefer working on their laptops and desktops, especially when it comes to typing. Case in point: I’m typing these words on my computer.
This is why I’m very pleased to announce that TED Masterclass is now available as a web app, adapted for users to enjoy on their laptops and desktops.
The web app is currently in beta, which means that only users who have bought the course or are participating through an organization will be able to access it. But overall, we’re thrilled to be offering most of the core functionality of the TED Masterclass course in the web app.
It’s easy to imagine how the relative strengths of each platform can complement each other:
On the web app, you can:
- Type more easily with a full keyboard.
- Watch the Lessons & Library videos in a larger format.
- Focus better - some people just work & think better in front of a computer versus a mobile device.
On the mobile app, you can:
- Use your time efficiently. Make the most of little pockets of time: watch a lesson waiting in line, commuting, or anywhere your day brings you, to keep your progress going.
- Share your progress to get feedback. Feedback is a critical part of the process of developing a talk. Having your Idea Log handy on your mobile app makes it easy to reference, whether you’re chatting with a friend or in a meeting with a colleague.
- Capture inspiration when it hits. You never know when an idea for your Talk will come. The mobile app lets you record those ‘A-ha’ moments wherever you are.
We can’t wait to see how TED Masterclass learners use the mobile and web apps in ways that fit their needs. We hope this update makes it easier for you to identify, develop and share your best ideas with the world.